The first two recipes are ones I like to do the night before and have on hand in the fridge...ready to be eaten when the need arises. LOL...the second two are ones we have on the weekend as a family. Try these!!! They will not disappoint you :)
Deliciously Healthy Shrimp Ceviche!
*warming!* this dish will make your breath wicked fired-up..but it's worth it
2 -3 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 bunch cilantro, diced
1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno, diced
8 limes, squeezed
8 lemons, squeezed
2 oranges, squeezed (preferably sour oranges)
2 large avocados, diced
2 large cucumbers, peeled and diced
*I also added one garlic clove, pressed.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 4 1/2 hrs
1 Blanche shrimp in boiling water for about 5 minutes, then shock in ice cold water. Strain when cooled.
2 Cut shrimp into 1-inch pieces and add to bowl.
3 Add citrus juice and marinate for 2 hours.
4 Add red onion, tomatoes, chilies and cilantro, marinate for 2 more hours.
5 Add avocados and cucumber before serving.
Yummy Fruity Curry Chicken Salad
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
4 green onions, chopped
1 Golden Delicious apple - peeled, cored and diced
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 cup light mayonnaise (or fat free greek yogurt *lotsa protein!!!*)
In a large bowl combine the chicken, celery, onion, apple, raisins, grapes, pecans, pepper, curry powder and mayonnaise. Mix all together. Serve!
Grilled chicken with Watermelon Feta Salad Salsa
Watermelon feta salad
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1. Whisk first 7 ingredients in a shallow dish; remove and reserve 2 tablespoons marinade for Watermelon-Feta Salad. Add chicken to dish; cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Spray cold grill cooking grate with grilling spray; place on grill over medium heat (300° to 350°). Place chicken on grate.
3. Grill 6 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with Watermelon-Feta Salad
Rosemary Chicken Kabobs!!!!
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 pt. cherry tomatoes
1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms
16 (6-inch) metal skewers
1. Preheat grill to 350º to 400º (medium-high) heat. Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Pour half of olive oil mixture into a shallow bowl or zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chicken, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and let stand 10 minutes. Pour remaining olive oil mixture into another bowl or freezer bag; add bell pepper, tomatoes, and mushrooms, and toss to coat; cover or seal, and let stand 10 minutes.
2. Remove chicken and vegetables from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread chicken onto 8 skewers. Thread vegetables alternately onto remaining 8 skewers.
3. Grill kabobs, covered with grill lid, 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Remove kabobs from grill. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Super Snack (doubles as a house air freshener as well)
Homemade Healthier Roasted Pecans!!
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
2 1/4 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup white sugar (I use splenda instead)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon clove
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (105 degrees C). Lightly grease a rimmed baking pan.
Combine the egg white and water in a mixing bowl; beat until fluffy. Fold in the pecans to coat evenly. Combine the sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove in a bowl or cup with a lid. Dust the pecans evenly with the sugar mixture. Spread the nuts over the prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven until toasted and fragrant, stirring every 15 minutes, about 1 hour. Cool on pan, and store in an airtight container.